Saturday, May 4, 2013

Mental Slave


May 3rd 2013

Even though we have only been in immersed in nature for two days, I feel as if I am learning more than I have in my four years of college. It is more understood now that one has to obtain knowledge from various perspectives, and Boris is providing that for me. But the more I learn, the more I realize that my education may not be up to par. It is disappointing, yet motivating. I am motivated to expand my horizons to a global perspective, starting locally. Most of my education has been solely based on United States governmental law. This one tract education is not applicable to real environmental situations. The environmental problem is a global one, what is done in one area is reflected across the world. When I return to the states, I definitely will be researching global conservation efforts, in particular REDD and adaptive management.


Our group visited the Caracol Archaeological Reserve (CAR), an ancient Mayan ruin, today.  At the site there were three structures visited built by the Mayans. The first site was where the middle class Mayans resided.  Boris explained that the middle class lived a rather wealthy life due to the extensive road service they built. The second structure was for the elite, where the emperors lived. The height of the structure towered many kilometers high, making us feel insignificant. Boris explained the height was meant to display their wealth and power to visitors. Once a person entered that area, they felt small, insignificant, and feeble. The idea was to mentally play with their mind, making them a mental slave to perception. I found it rather interesting his term of mental slave. Many people in power attempt to manipulate the minds of others through building extensive structures, laws, or depriving one of their culture. Boris further explained once a person is mentally manipulated or stripped of their culture, they begin to loose and question their identity. This loss of identity leads to a cascading effect. Once one looses their identity, they also loose the link to nature and the cultural respect to the land around them.


Will where he belongs, in the elite structure.

Lindsey being so stoic


I then began to plague my mind with the question of what my culture and my identity are. I felt lost. In my family no one shares stories of their past. We do not have a culture, other than the traditions my mother has started. So does that mean I do not have an identity? I know my culture is rooted in America, but I can say that I am not proud of that history. Maybe by the end of this stay I will be able to answer this question, or it may take quite sometime. Or possibly my culture is not historical; perhaps it started with my mother.
From left: Lina, Lindsey, & Kara
Sam and I atop the Mayan ruins

I could go on and on about culture and identity, but I want to move onto our hike six of us took with a permanent resident on Las Cuevas, Pedro and his dogs.  With a sense of pride, I was able to detect the Xcate plants measured the previous day. Pedro showed us plants used for medicinal and survival purposes. There is a plant growing in broad leaf forests known as the wild grape. It is a dark vine with straight grooves that contains purified drinkable water. Pedro showed us how to extract water from this plant. He used his machete, chopped off a piece, and the water started flowing from it. We all drank from the vine! The water tastes like nothing else I have ever had. I cannot describe the taste other than fact it tasted fresh. Then Pedro pointed out another vine, the spice vine, that when boiled aids in diabetes and also lowers cholesterol. In the classroom we have all learned that rainforests have medicinal ability, but today our group experienced the rainforest potential hands on.
Myself drinking from the wild grape vine!


Until tomorrow, sweet dreams!

the whole gang

No comments:

Post a Comment