Thursday, May 16, 2013

Last Two Days


13th May 2013 and May 14th 2013


Our trip is nearing an end.  Today we are departing back to the states to our loved ones and reality. This vacation has been rather swell and eye opening. This was my first and definitely not last time out of the States. As we all go our separate ways, I hope to still remain in contact with everyone. Our group has grown together, learned to be humble, and learned that sometimes spending two consecutive weeks together can make one go a little crazy. I wish though some were a little nicer to others, and didn’t try to distance themselves. Learning to coexist with others who do not share the same outlooks is great challenge I feel as if some here did not learn. As environmental scientists it is our job to make sure we meet the various needs of society, along with the natural world. It is no simple task.

What I take most from my time here is the aspect of change. Creating a difference is possible, one just has to be ambition, creative mind, and be able to take a breath and look beyond him or her. This trip has solidified my future ambitions. I want to teach the youth in the field. Hopefully positively transforming their connection to mother nature. She provides us with life, and it is our job to ensure our stay here doesn’t degrade her beyond repair.

I will do a little recap of today’s and yesterdays activity. Yesterday the 13th was our off day. Many of the group went paddle boarding, kayaking, canoeing, and even snorkeling. I decided to relax with Sam. We swam, ate conch, and enjoyed the weather. As night began to approach I took the time to go watch the sunset in solitude. It started to rain though, thankfully for only a few minutes. But I did miss my last sunset in Caye Caulker. Some ladies and I went to our last meal and in my opinion, the best meal I have had all week.

Today was a day filled with travels and soon goodbyes. I am typing this on the plane now, and can sense everyone’s longing desire to be in the comfort home. When we land in Miami I am going to stuff my face with French fries and top it off with a hot fancy coffee (double tall soy latté please)! We will all meet again soon to perform presentations on our travels. I am curious to see what everyone else took from the trip.

A beautiful country, spent with beautiful people. Belize 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment