Sunday, May 12, 2013

Two Days of Snorkling!


May 9, 2013

 

Under the Sea

            Its snorkel day!  Mario’s Tours is taking us out to snorkel, snorkel, snorkel.  The entire group gets all the necessary snorkel equipment and load onto a boat.  I’m so excited.  We head out to the reefs, the coral reefs.  I have read about coral reefs and have seen so many pictures about the reefs, so when I catch a first glimpse of the reef, I am unable to recognize them.  I always expected to see bright blues and greens and lots of reds and oranges under the sea.  Not so here.  There is a lot of neutral colors, which actually works to my benefit when looking for sea life.  There are Brain Coral everywhere, and one of the first things that I notice is the health of the reef.  Some of the coral looks unhealthy, parts of it dying or already dead.  I feel a little sad at the state of our beautiful planet.  I keep my head underwater and keep up with group.  I start to see so many different fish.  One of my favorite sights is a bright blue fish with electric cobalt blue spots.  The reef is much larger than anticipated, and we are swimming around a large horseshoe shaped area.  Elias and Ali are our tour guides for the next couple of days, and they take the time to point out the Fire Coral that grows off of the reef.  This is a good fact to decipher; Fire Coral doesn’t feel good when touched.  It’s incredible.  All of it is beautiful and so different than anything I have witnessed before.  The silence of snorkeling helps set the atmosphere, and I am left to my own thoughts against the rhythm of my breathing.  I quickly begin to understand why there are so many future Marine Biologists in the world and why it is such an attractive degree and profession.  It’s beautiful, but I feel I have said this before.  The water is pretty choppy and after learning how to transect certain parts of the ocean floor and identify and count different sea species, I head for the boat.  I am tired, the sun is hot and a slow feeling of nausea is starting to settle into the bottom of my belly.  We all gather aboard the boat and head back to shore, I am getting sick.  I am, uh oh…..this could go either way.  The boat makes it back, I make it to the hotel room, into the shower and……I have to miss the afternoon trip.  I am sea sick for the first time in my life, and I have to lay down.  I miss Sting-Ray ally and my roomie tells me all about when she gets back.  I am slightly jealous, but my rumbling belly reminds us all why I missed it.  I have to skip eating a big dinner, probably for the best.  For the first time on this trip I am ready for bed at 8:00 pm.  I miss my bed at home.

 

May 10, 2013

Another day in pure paradise

             Oh great, the sun still comes up at 6:00 am, bright and early.  Very bright, and we have a red/orange (reorange?) colored curtain.  I can’t pretend to sleep, I need coffee.  My roomie and I scour the island for coffee, one place opens at 6:30 am, I think it’s instant coffee.  I miss real creamer at this point.  We are doing another day of snorkeling, I am confident my belly is fixed and I am ready to go.  We are actually headed to check out one of the 100 Island Keys that surround Belize.  Yep, there are over 100 keys in Belize.  We take a boat over there and unload onto a desert Island type place.  It is slightly creepy, but there are coconuts everywhere!  I am then informed that coconuts are invasive/introduced species, which I had no idea.  I assumed everyone loved Coconut Palms.  Helen is our guide from one of the local Belize Environmental groups.  She informs us that Coconut Palms are not hated, they are just dominant and overcrowd areas.  This can force other plants to not grow or grow slowly, thus throwing off the biological diversity of species.  We walk around the tiny island and look at all of the Mangroves.  The order of mangroves make sense, Black Mangroves are usually out farther from the land.  Red Mangroves, the ones that I can name instantly due to the prop roots, are slightly offshore and the White Mangroves are usually on shore.  This is the appropriate order due to the fact that the Black Mangroves are the ones that are able to survive salt water, while the others are not able to as well.  It is quite fascinating.  Helen shows us what she has done with her group and a recent trip to the island with a High School group for earth day.  They were busy planting Red Mangroves and housing them in a thick PVC pipe to protect them from the currents during high tide.  It is obvious that the restoration project is working well.  We continue to walk around the tiny island and notice that it is littered with trash.  Helen informs us that this is from years of people dumping into the sea.  They started the project of Mangrove restoration after multiple hurricanes.  She informs us that the island used to be completely covered in foliage, and only recently have they decided to start clearing it out.  It took many days to clear a small area; Helen tells us that they decided to clear out some of the Coconut Palms to allow other plants to grow.  We walk to a place that has clearly fallen victim to a massive fire.  Helen tells us that it is an unknown fire and no one knows why.  There is glass everywhere, after years of people polluting the waters all of the glass washed up on shore.  With the heat from the fire it caused all of the bottles to break and scatter everywhere.  Looks like another clean-up project is in the works.  We head back to the main area and start more transecting.  We are counting the number of Red Mangroves and the density of them.  We finish this project and head out to the water to do another transect of sea grass.  Manatee Grass and Turtle Grass are the dominate grasses that grow in this area and Ali tells us the importance for these species to protect the land.  It helps to stop the erosion of the mainland.  All in all it is a fantastic day and it’s time to head in for another wonderful lunch at Wet Willy’s.  With a full belly we head back out to look to the reefs and do more snorkeling.  We are searching for the lobsters that are help with tourism in this part of the world.  Lobster season is about to start in June, and we are hoping to find some of these yummy crustaceans.  Unfortunately, nothing, not one lobster is found.  Other amazing fish are swimming around allowing me to have another fantastic underwater sea show.  This was a great day and I am ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment