Friday, May 17, 2013

“You see, unlike most writers today, I do not use a computer. I write the old-fashioned way: on the walls of caves.”


Day 6: Cavemen:

     Today we woke up with the sun again…this is becoming an unwelcome habit for me. And we were off to check our Sherman traps for the last time.  Lo and behold, we had caught something .  Seemed rather suspicious that the animal we caught happened to be right after we watched Boris walk quickly into the woods alone, and it happened to be on the first trap near the trail, and it happened to be the common house mouse.  For the love of learning, I firmly believe Boris planted that poor animal there so that we could learn how to study it and release it properly.  However, if he did it, he wasn’t going to admit it under my prying.
      After breakfast, we headed in to the Chiquibul cave system. This is something I think all of us were pretty excited about. Approaching the cave was really cool and we got a glimpse of our first bat rather quickly. Boris told us a bit about the cave systems in Belize and told us that the water we use at Las Cuervas Research Center comes from that very cave. That totally made me understand a little better about why those were some of the coldest showers in all the land. The inside of the caves were really cool and included some creepy, dark, tight, spots that we crawled through.  I was amazed to see that things were able to live back in there. Creepy crawlies and fungus that looked like silk were throughout the caves.  One thing that I found disappointing was that some people had entered these ancient caves and wrote their names and dates on the rocks. I mean, who goes into an ancient Mayan cave deep in the forest in Belize and thinks it would be neat to deface the cave?!!?
     After the caves, we had the rest of the day free. And by “we” I mean everyone who wasn’t doing a project. So, Alex, Michelle, Boris and I went right back out to name and climb some trees. Oh and to measure density of course. And guess who found us?? Yes that’s right, our new found friends, the African bees.


No comments:

Post a Comment