Sunday, May 12, 2013

Welcome to the Jungle

May 1, 2013

It's the first day and I have no idea what to expect on this little adventure. Am I going to die from malaria? Am I going to face a life or death situation with a Yaguar? Or am I going to completely turn into a radical environmentalist and say to hell with PA school? Who knows, the possibilities are endless. All I know is that the bus ride from the airport was a pain in the ass, literally. It didn't help either that Dr.Alegria wouldn't let us take beer on-the-go. I mean c'mon, how unreasonable can a man be?! Besides from the sore gluteus maximus it was very interesting to see belize in its raw form. Houses were structurally unsound, yards were very dry, but best of all people were carrying along with their daily activities without the nice cars or nice clothes, just the essentials of life. After a couple of hours of driving through the town, something amazing happened. Our bus instantly transformed from a old yellow school bus into an off-road zombie assault vehicle as nothing could get in its way. Steep hills were conquered, big rocks were crumbled, and strategic maneuvers were used to get around muddy roads. However, for all of this to happen someone with the skill of a nascar driver and the insanity of a madman had to man the wheel. The man behind this machine would soon be known as Alberto. It wasn't pretty, but he got the job done. I could sense the tension in the bus as we were trekking through the bumpy roads. I think someone had a panic attack ;). I was quite amazed at what was able to be accomplished with a yellow school bus. What I thought would have been a few hours to reach las cuevas turned into an eternity. I suppose they forgot to mention "belizian" time at our pre-departure meetings. And here I thought "asian" time was bad. Eventually we reached las cuevas. As we walked to our rooms, we were greeted by thirsty nociems (no-see-ums) and howling howler monkeys. This is it, it just got real.

No comments:

Post a Comment