Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Our last day in Belize


From left to right: Mike, Lindsay, Sam, Lina, Jon, and Abbey W.
Today is our last day in Belize. The time went by so fast, but looking back it feels like it was a month ago that we were in the Chiquibol. I learned a lot on this trip. I learned a lot about people in general, and I learned a lot about myself. I learned so much about ecology and natural resource management in the rainforest. Although there were times I thought I would freak out if I saw one more bug, I wouldn’t trade the experience in for anything else. It was a once in a lifetime chance to spend a week in the heart of a rainforest and learn from local people.  In the Caye Caulker Marine Reserve, I learned the names of many fish and coral species. I snorkeled a lot, dove for queen conchs, and swam with sharks and sting rays- it was a pretty good week! I also learned that there are many challenges that go along with managing protected areas, both inland and marine. It's very difficult to make nature AND people happy. This was an amazing experience, but I am so excited to go home to see my boyfriend, my puppy, and my family. Most of all, I am excited to shower without wearing water shoes and to sleep in my own bed. I’m already packed and so I’m off to enjoy my last day on this beautiful island. I’m off to go kayaking and to swim in the crystal clear waters of Caye Caulker one last time. What a great way to end a trip I will never forget.
Mike with a starfish we found on our kayak trip
Beautiful Caye Caulker

No comments:

Post a Comment