Sunday, May 12, 2013

Cay Caulker


May 8th
We are on our way to the island of Cay Caulker everyone is really excited and some are happy to see the rainforest in the rear view.  We traveled most of the day in the bus until we reached Belize city were we transferred to a boat for a short trip to the Island.


May 9th
Today everyone is filled with anticipation on our snorkeling research.  I saw so many different fish but my favorite was the huge green moray.  We learned how to study, catalog and measure the different coral species.  After the refreshing dip in the ocean our guide gave us the scoop on the different types of reserves in their marine ecosystem.


May 10th
Today was probably my favorite and most useful day of lessons.  We learned how to measure and study a mangrove forest and sea grass.  I will be taking these lessons and apply them to my mangrove island project.  I made some really good contacts and have expanded my resources for information.


May 11th
Today we were a little slow and not to impressed with what the day has in-store for us.  As I went on an inspection of marine food I noticed that the island health codes might be a little different than ours back home.  As I spoke with our guide he confided in me the struggles of the peoples day to day life which made me appreciative of the comforts of mine.


May 12th & 13th
In our closing time left I was able to reflect on my knowledge obtained and get ready for a new full load of classes.  One thing I hope will be incorporated into the program is some work with the manatee reserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment