Friday, May 10, 2013

Bitter Sweet Goodbye


   7th May 2013

  • ·      Bird tower or mist netting
  • ·      Breakfast
  • ·      Individuals work on projects
  • ·      Lunch
  • ·      Individuals work on projects
  • ·      Last dinner 
  • ·      Evening presentation



Unfortunately, today is our last full day at the Las Cuevas Research Station. I am overwhelmed with sorrow. The information I have learned and the people we have met will soon come to an end. I do not want to leave, but then again something grand awaits us in Key Caulker (hopefully). I shall look forward, and never forget. Boris did say there is always a need for volunteers here at The Chiquibul, so I shall in time.

Today our group hiked to the bird tower and the others mist netted. The other group was truthful when they exclaimed the hike was a strenuous one. When I return to the states I plan to start working out. Although we were tired, the hike was worth the strain. We all climbed the 11-meter bird tower with some ease. The ladders were attached to the tower by zip ties. It was mind over matter at that point. I was the first to climb. Euphoria struck my soul. The hills full of greenery rolled across the skyline. Unlike the other group, we saw a few birds, two Millee Parrots (spelling?) and a few others. The Millee parrot (spelling?) was beautiful. Their feathers were a kelly green, and their heads a baby blue.

The other group setting up their mist nets, unfortunately they did not catch any birdies.

Boris and Jonathan waiting patiently to catch some birds

After breakfast, Lindsay, Mike, and I joined Sam and Kara in measuring Xchate populations in their 20m by 20m plots. We identified three species, counted there leaves if they weren’t in regeneration stage. Of the leaves counted we measured the commercial ones and the ones with herbivory. Boris joined us as we completed the project. At that time, I asked Boris what he envisioned for the Las Cuevas website. On the front page he wants a slide show if three to four pictures, with a green background, headers with landscape pictures, a “what’s new” section, and black font throughout. He also wants to add a gallery tab so he is able to upload pictures of wildlife and the student groups that come to do research.  I hope I am able to meet his needs in an aesthetic fashion.
Mike helping Kara take a picture of the black orchid, the nation's flower.

Counting Xchate, heard!


We finished their four plots in approximately four hours. Then had a dinner (mouth-watering barbeque) with everyone taking care of The Chiquibul Forest and us. They have taken us into their homes and treated us as family. After dinner Boris recruited us to another building to share his reflections and pictures of the week. This week solidified my future ambitions. He showed that we could make change through education, and being keepers of our land. As humans, we are the intruders, and the animals are at home. It is our duty to recognize this connection, performing actions that benefit both of our habitats in a positive way. I will reflect more on the six-hour ride back to Belize City, currently I am overwhelmed with joy and sorrow, and need time to organize my thoughts. Oh brother, I do not want to leave.

Alex doing what he does best, capturing art

Our last lunch cooked by Angi, her food will be missed!

Sam and Jonathan mapping out the trails they took

No comments:

Post a Comment