Thursday, May 16, 2013

No man left behind

May 4, 2013

          So today our groups split up. One group went mist netting and the other went up to the bird tower. Our group was assigned the bird tower that morning. Great, awesome this should be a nice and easy hike to get the morning started. WRONGGGG! Boy was I in for a rude awakening. I didn't have too much trouble, but I did see that Dr. Alegria was having a bit of trouble getting up the hill so uhhh.. I *ahem* decided to stay by his side so that he wouldn't be attacked by any xaté chopping Guatemalans. However, as the honorable man that he was, he told me to go on ahead as he held down the rear. Pedro, our guide for that morning, just trekked his way up that hill like Rocky Balboa did at the Philly art museum. Although, it was a rough way up we were rewarded with breakfast and of course, you guessed it, Angie's... warm tortillas were waiting all wrapped up in kitchen cloths. Abbey W. soon introduced me to smothering the tortillas with PB & J. I think I'm on my way to developing diabetes at a young age now, thanks Abbey.

         Speaking of PB & J, after breakfast we went out and put our transecting skills or lack thereof to use by plotting a 40 x 100m grid. It wasn't pretty, but we got the job done as the day went on. We set out sherman traps at every 10m. These traps were used to monitor for the type of small mammals that were in the area. As bait we placed globs of peanut butter on the inside of the traps.


Michelle graciously climbing the ladder up the bird tower.


Team work at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment