Thursday, May 16, 2013

I've turned into a big soft tortilla

May 7, 2013

          It's our last day in the Chiquibul. It just so happens to be a free day as well. We originally wanted to take a 7.5km hike down the Monkey Tail trail, but Boris figured we'd probably get ourselves killed along the way even under the supervision of one of the jungle bred guides. Therefore it was a no go. Rather we decided to explore the trails around Las Cuevas. My initial thoughts were, "Pfftttt this was going to be a cinch!", "We know these trails like the back of our hand", "How bad can it be?!" Once again, I set myself up. The hike up the trail was two to three times as hard as the bird tower! What did I just get myself into?! I haven't done cardio workouts in long time and boy were my legs paying for it. There were hills upon hills. I was about to just give up, fall back and hoped that I would just roll my way back down to Las Cuevas. However, I couldn't because then I'd probably get pricked by one of those prickly trees, which would then leave me severely numb for a good while. That wouldn't be fun. Fortunately, we made it to the top and it was all down hill from there.

         The time spent in the Chiquibul has been a lifetime experience. Nothing can replace what I have learned from the people here at Las Cuevas. Just one of the many people that I admire at Las Cuevas, is Alberto. He has truly left an impression on me. He doesn't drink, smoke, or has never done drugs and he works hard for his family. It hits home, because it reminds me of why my parents, aunts and uncles escaped to the US, to work for their families and future generations. These people that we've come to know and love are amazing. Las Cuevas truly became a home for many of us. This trip has shown us that we as humans do not need much to carry on a normal life, just the simple things. Everyone from Boris, Raphael, Angie, Pedro, Alberto and the rest of the Las Cuevas staff will indeed be missed. Boo hoo, I'm like a big soft tortilla. Especially after all the tortillas I've eaten, oh well. Till next time..!


No comments:

Post a Comment